Nowruz marks the first day of spring and the beginning of the year in Iranian Calender. It is celebrated on the day of the astronomical Vernal equinox, which usually occurs on March 21 or the previous/following day depending on where it is observed.As well as being a Zoroastrian holiday and having significance amongst the Zoroastrian ancestors of modern Iranians.
Haft Sîn:or the seven 'S's is a major tradition of Norouz.
- sabzeh(سبزه) - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth
- samanu (سمنو)- a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence
- senjed (سنجد)- the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love
- sîr (سیر)- garlic - symbolizing medicine
- sîb (سیب)- apples - symbolizing beauty and health
- somaq (سماق)- sumac berries - symbolizing (the color of) sunrise
- serkeh (سرکه)- vinegar - symbolizing age and patience